Nowadays it’s mandatory for everyone to be up to date in every aspect of their professional life but we forget about the small things that matter a lot. Yes, we are talking about the dental hygiene part which is very much important and should be given equal attention as much as any other body part requires. Many of us often wonder “how to maintain good oral hygiene?” Well, It is no rocket science, the simple solution is regular checkups, cleaning. So, here is a list of best dental hygiene tips which you need to take before its too late.
- Brush your teeth properly– The simplest thing to start with is to keep your teeth clean. You should position the bristles at an angle of 45 degrees while brushing. The gum line and the tooth surface should come in contact with the bristles. Make sure to brush the outer surfaces of the teeth using a back-and-forth, up down motion, gently avoiding bleeding. In order to clean the inside surfaces of the teeth and gums, keep the bristles at an angle of 45 degrees, repeat the back-forth, up-down motion. Last but not the least the surfaces of the tongues, roof of your mouth should be brushed to avoid bad breath and bacteria. Brush twice a day to prevent acid build up, which is by product of food breakdown by bacteria. If you are too busy with the schedule then make sure to rinse your mouth with water after having food to minimize the effects of bacteria.
- It’s time to floss – While, we tend to forget the importance of flossing most of the times and after brushing, we leave for work or straightaway rush to bed in the night. Flossing helps in removing food particles, detrimental substances which brushing cannot remove. It helps in deep cleaning where the tooth bristles, mouthwash cannot reach. So, it is recommended to do flossing at least once a day.
- Say No to tobacco – Do a big favor on your teeth by quitting tobacco. You can save yourself from oral cancer and periodontal complications as well as from the agents used that mask the smell of tobacco. For instance, if you smoke a cigarette, after that you use tea or candy to mask the smell of smoky breath, this doubles the amount of damage caused.
- Limit the amount of soda, coffee, and alcohol – These beverages contain a high amount of phosphorus which is am important mineral for the healthy mouth but the excess of phosphorus can decrease the calcium level in the body. This, in turn, causes problems like tooth decay and gum disease. Beverages contain additives such as corn syrup, food dye that can cause dull and discolored teeth. Henceforth it is best to drink milk instead of aerated drinks, it helps in strengthening teeth, build stronger enamel. Most importantly making you the proud owner of a beautiful smile.
- Include calcium and other vitamins in your diet – Your body needs plenty of calcium so include milk, fortified orange juice, yogurt, broccoli, cheese and other dairy products in your diet. Calcium supplements can also be taken in different doses according to your age, necessity, and prescription. In order to maintain healthy gums and teeth, calcium and vitamin D play an important role. For the protection of gums and teeth from cracking and bleeding increase the intake of vitamin B complex. Make sure to include copper, zinc, iodine, iron and potassium in your diet for good maintenance of dental hygiene.
- Consult your dentist often – Visit your dentist at least twice a year to have full hygiene treatment performed. A comprehensive exam is usually taken with x-rays to help detection and prevention of future dental treatments from occurring.
- Make use of mouthwash along with brushing and flossing – Those mouthwashes that contain Listerine or chlorine are useful as they help in killing and maintaining the optimum level of bacteria in your mouth. It helps in maintaining good breath and strong teeth. Just only using mouthwash will not work until and unless you do brushing, flossing or visit the dentist and maintain a healthy diet. Mouthwash, in that case, will be like a cherry on top that will contribute to great dental health.
- Prevention is better than cure – Get an appointment with your Dentist as soon as you experience tooth or jaw pain. Before the problem aggravates, give a chance to your Dentist to diagnose and heal it.
- A cause for long run – Everyone is aware of the fact that we should take care of toothaches, maintain our looks and pay less dental bills but most people don’t know that oral health plays a major role in maintaining our total health. It saves us from having diabetes, heart disease, systemic infections, and inability to eat or speak inability
- Just a swipe away – The surface of your tongue should be cleaned daily. You can make use of professional tongue cleaner to remove countless bacteria that live on the rougher surface of the tongue. Avoiding this can lead to bad breath and have a negative effect on your dental health.
We really hope that these tips can at least make you understand the importance of dental hygiene If you’re able to follow few of these dental hygiene tips, we are sure it will be of immense benefit to you.